Saturday 13 January 2018

XC indifference

I just wasn't in a competitive mood today.

At the start of a cross country race everyone races off to get good positions before the route narrows into a trail. There is a lot of jostling and tripping and you have to be quite aggressive to get a high enough place where you are going to get pulled along.

I wasn't in the mood for pushing and shoving so allowed myself to end up mid-pack. This was comfortable and gives the false illusion of having a good race as you spend the rest of the race gradually working your way up the field. But in reality you leave a lot in the tank and that is what happened today.

It didn't help that I never saw any club mates ahead of me to chase so in the end I just treated the race as a relatively easy tempo session. My HR was generally around 150 when really it should be closer to 160 if I was really going for it.

So an enjoyable workout but part of me is frustrated for not leaving it all out there. At least my long run tomorrow should be less of a plod.

No comments:

Post a Comment