Saturday 6 January 2018

20 miles with 10 at marathon pace

So this morning was the second MP run, brought forward a week to allow XC next weekend. I didn't feel that fresh and felt quite intimidated by the thought of 20 miles with 10 @ MP. To make it more palatable I broke it down into 3 sections - 8 miles easy, 10 miles tempo and 2 miles shuffle. Of course I didn't rest between sections - that would be cheating! The pace for the first 8 miles was a bit slow but the legs felt OK. I normally pace marathon tempos by HR these days but my Garmin decided to glitch just before the tempo section so I had to go on lap pace for the first two miles. 200 metres in to the first mile I glanced at the pace and it said 5:55! Probably a GPS glitch but a nice surprise all the same. That mile was a 6:34 and the next four were all around 6:40. I then turned around into the wind and the second half had a couple of 6:55 miles as I zoned out a bit too much but the rest were 6:40s.

So 20 miles on tired legs with no breakfast or nutrition in the run ended up OK. Thanks to switching days around I have done 84 miles in the last 7 days - no wonder my feet are sore!

No comments:

Post a Comment