Wednesday 31 January 2018

I’m only human after all

I was worried I would have another sub-par tempo run. However I didn’t consider that I might abandon the tempo section altogether.

The plan called for 11 miles with 5 @ LT pace. LT pace is supposed to be a bit faster than half marathon pace. Probaby about 6:15 for me. This is a tough workout at the best of times. However after 4 cycles and 3 runs in the previous two days and with a slight cold it was too much.

The first 3 miles felt ok. Then the tempo section started. The first mile was a bit sluggish at 6:24. In the second mile the effort felt like it was the final tempo mile and the pace started dropping off.

I didn’t really even make a conscious decision to bail out; my legs decided for me. I just jogged the rest of the run and cut it short slightly to 10 miles.

I think you need to be physically and mentally fresh to crush this type of workout. I was neither. One early start too many. Hopefully after a good sleep tonight and can do 2 x 2 miles @ LT in tomorrow’s 15 miler.

No comments:

Post a Comment