Sunday 4 February 2018

20 miles steady

The marathon long run. Find a 2.5 hour slot in your day. Push a bit in the second half. Spend the last five miles wishing it was over. Then spend the rest of the day feeling wiped out.

As you may have guessed I am not a fan. I think if it was summer and I didn't have a certain amount of stress in my life I would enjoy then more. As it is it was a case of getting it done when I could.

Thankfully the weather was pleasant this afternoon. Cold but dry and still (apart from a quick hail shower!) The first 10 miles were all comfortably under 8 minute / mile pace when flat. I didn't exactly feel on top form but after a stressful weekend that wasn't surprising. The target pace for the second half was 7:20 and on the whole I hit it without too much trouble. It was a long time to be running though and I can't help feeling guilty about the fact I had put so much physical and mental energy into my hobby when my family have their own needs.

Still, I don't spend my evenings in the pub drinking away my income so I guess there are worse past-times.

80 miles done for the week. First bad boy ticked off.

No comments:

Post a Comment