Wednesday 14 February 2018

13 miles steady using Apple Watch

I had a 13 mile MLR planned for first thing this morning so it was time to check out running with my new Apple Watch series 3.

It started off well. I enjoyed the fact that the watch automatically lit up when I turned my wrist so when running in the dark I didn't have to wait for a street light to be able to read my watch.

More importantly the mile splits were coming at the right time (I was on my favourite trail and knew when they should come.)

So, two miles up to the trail and then 4.5 miles at easy effort, coming out at 7:50 pace. So far so good. When I turned round I increased the effort and expected the miles to be about 7:20 pace. However they were more like 7:40. I assumed I was just having a slower day but gradually realised that the watch was measuring the miles long, meaning it thought I was going slower than I actually was. This was pretty annoying and I ended up having to do a little detour to make the run 13 miles when in reality it was over 13.1 miles.

Most reviews have said that the GPS accuracy is OK so hopefully this is just a teething issue. Thoughts so far below:

+ve

- Lights up automatically when you turn your wrist - no more waiting for a street light to read your watch when running in the dark.
- Get 4 metrics and time on one screen
- Looks better than most (all?) Garmins
- Can record swims
- You can copy music onto the watch to listen to when running without your phone.

-ve
- Didn't measure the distance right this morning ;-( Hopefully giving it time to connect to GPS before starting the workout will help.
- Doesn't tell you when satellites are found
- Mile splits quite hard to read
- No lap pace in workout app

No comments:

Post a Comment