Wednesday 14 March 2018

Life in the old legs yet

Doing speed intervals 3 days after a marathon doesn't seem like a great idea on paper. But then again, the plan has speed work two days after a 24 mile run so I guess what I was doing was no worse.

Even so I was not entirely confident that my legs would hold together so decided to ease into the intervals gently. I would start with a target HR of 140 and go up 4 each time.

After a 3 mile warm up it time to get going.

This was the first time attempting intervals with my Apple Watch. To mark the end of a lap you have to double tap the watch. This only works with gloves off so I did the session carrying one of my gloves. I suspect the fact that the watch was designed in California meant that working while wearing gloves wasn't a priority!

Anyway it turned out that the legs were working and the splits progressed nicely.

4:20
4:00
3:50
3:45
3:45
3:40

This was a very pleasant way to do intervals. Next time I will start with a higher HR (140 is a bit wimpish) and progress more gently but try to keep the progression going as this is so much nicer than a fade.

Absolutely exhausted tonight. I feel like I am fighting a sore throat and combined with the early start this morning I am whacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment