Sunday 25 March 2018

20 weary miles

I have been marathon training for 16 weeks now!

Normally at this stage in the plan it would be 14 weeks but I added two extra recovery weeks.

16 weeks is a long time, especially with the winter we have had. Physically I am surviving. Mentally I am so ready for the taper!

I know many people regularly do more miles, whether marathon training or not, but I guess it is a case of what you are used to.

I personally find fitting 20 mile runs into family life at the weekends hard. I do plan to do more marathons but don't plan to do another plan involving so many long runs. 18 miles is plenty for me.

Today I did the 20 miler that I didn't do last weekend because of my cold and the snow. This was supposed to include 14 miles at marathon pace but I don't have the energy for those at the moment.

The legs actually felt OK and the 8 minute miles came easily enough in the first half. In the second half I pushed the pace a bit as normal but didn't get much below 7:40 pace. Still it is 20 miles banked at an acceptable pace.

Hopefully the taper will restore my mental and physical energy. Otherwise I will have to put this build up down to experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment