Thursday 8 March 2018

10K tempo

The dreaded lactate threshold tempo runs. The plan called for 12 miles with 7 @ LT but I think that 7 miles is too far unless you are an elite athlete. So I did 6.22 miles (10K) instead.

To make up the miles I did a 4 mile extended warm up. My legs felt pretty good.

Then after a brief pause to water the flowers and put my man suit on it was time to get started. After half a mile the average pace had dipped under 6:20 so it was a case of keeping the heart rate around 155 bpm and seeing what pace came out.

Thankfully the pace stayed around the 6:20 minutes per mile range. That pace felt quite sustainable but I didn't have the energy to go much faster.

So the 10 kilometres were completed in about 39:30 minutes; my fastest 10K tempo in training ever. My heart rate was also lower that it was the last time I tried this session.

A 2 mile jog home made it 12 for the day.

I am very happy to have finally achieved an decent early morning tempo run. I am also very happy that this is the last one in the plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment