Sunday 18 March 2018

Getting it done is not always fun

I seem to have completely forgotten to update the blog for a few days. Ooops!

Friday was the normal 6 mile run into work, 4 miles at lunch and cycle home. Still had a cold.

Saturday morning the legs felt good. 6 miles easy to my local parkrun. Then a progressive effort at the parkrun finishing with a fun kick. Then two miles jog home. Should be plenty left in the tank for a HM the next day.

Today I woke up feeling like crap. Bloody cold still lingering around. I then found out that the race was cancelled due to heavy snow which I was selfishly quite happy about. It saved me the stress of deciding whether to show up or not.

As normal I perked up a bit after about 3 cups of tea and later in the afternoon, with the wind dying down slightly, I ventured out. I definitely wasn't up for the scheduled 20 with 14 @ MP or any number of MP miles for that matter. In fact 20 miles was a psychological hurdle too high so I decided to settle for a steady 18 and do 20 next weekend instead. I also didn't fancy concentrating hard on where I was stepping for over two hours so headed to a local industrial estate. There is a loop there of about 700 metres which is well lit and should be traffic and ice free. A perfect place to zone out with a podcast and get the miles done. Sort of like a road equivalent of a treadmill.

And so it panned out. My legs were happy to plod along at 8 minute miles, I could run on a snow free road and I only encountered a handful of vehicles the whole time I was on the estate. The downside was having to do about 35 laps of the loop!

Some people think I am crazy for doing loops but on some days I am just not in the mood for an adventure. I have a pretty high boredom threshold in any case and don't mind repetition (as anyone who has had to share my narrow taste in music will attest!)

84 miles for the week. Considering the head cold and the weather, that will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment