Friday 13 April 2018

When your legs just shrug

Trying to fit some speed work into my run commute was never going to be much fun. My route home is through town with lots of turns and roads to cross. The best I could hope for was to squeeze in some 400m intervals where I could.

Unfortunately there was an annoying chilly headwind most of the way and I was mentally tired from work. Not the best conditions really. When I did pick up the pace my legs did what they were told but without any enthusiasm. I can almost imagine the conversation between my brain and my legs:

Brain: Go faster now!

Legs: But this is a run commute! Why? Oh alright then.

Brain: Keep it up.

Legs: I am. Chill out.

Brain: OK, ease off.

Legs: I was already.

Brain: Rest over. Fast again now.

Legs: Yeah yeah whatever. What's for tea?

You get the idea. The only time I felt strong was up a hill where the effort seemed to feel a bit more fun.

Anyway this is probably all a combination of having a bit too much fun on the cycle in to work, doing a steady 10 miler yesterday, mental tiredness, life stress and taper madness.

There will be better runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment