Wednesday 18 April 2018

Today I fly; on Sunday I fry

This morning was the dress rehearsal. Popular amongst fans of the P&D marathon training plans; some consider it their favourite run of the whole schedule.

The idea is that you dress in your race day kit and see what 2 miles @ marathon pace feels like.

For me that meant putting on short shorts and a vest and leaving the phone behind. I wanted this run to be a confidence boost so I arranged for the wind to be behind me during the fast miles.

So it was 4 miles steady running up to the trail and then let off the brakes. Predictably I got a bit carried away. My HR shot above 150 when it should be around 145 in a marathon. I calmed myself down and loped along at a nice effort. Apple watches do not do lap pace so my heart was in my mouth to some extent when I completed the first tempo mile. Would it be a disappointing time like 6:50 or something better like 6:30? I was very happy to see 6:20 on the watch. However I knew I had put too much effort in and had the wind behind me so this was not a realistic marathon pace.

I tried to keep the HR at a reasonable level for the next mile (averaging about 147) and that came out at 6:40.

I would be ecstatic if I could average 6:40 on Sunday. With colder weather I might have a chance. With the current forecast I would very happily take sub 3:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment