Tuesday 28 March 2017

Am I ready? Who knows.

Five days to go now. People keep asking me if I am ready for some reason. In terms of training... absolutely. In terms of the logistics of the day and nutrition plans... not really. But my approach to marathons is to treat them as just another race as much as possible. This helps keep the nerves at bay. You can make a marathon as complicated or as simple as you want to and I like simple.

Sunday was a steady 13 miler. The legs felt good again and the average pace was quite fast at 7:32. In the second half I was ticking off 7:10 miles feeling smooth and comfortable. This is only a bit slower than planned marathon pace so I am hoping for a very comfortable first half of the race. It has to be comfortable really or you are doomed.

Yesterday was a "rest" day that actually involved cycling to work and back and doing a strength session at lunch time. I will stay away from the weights for the rest of the week though.

Today was another cycle to work and then an easy 6 mile run back. Easy effort is now coming out at 7:50 pace which is a fitness level I have never had before.

Sunday is just one day. I am already excited about the rest of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment