Thursday 2 March 2017

17 miles on a week day

Trying to fit Sunday races into a marathon plan is always tricky as you can't just do your long run on Saturday as that would ruin your legs for the race. If you are doing a Half Marathon you can do a long warm up and cool down to make the distance up to 18 miles or so but this can detract from the race day fun. If you are doing a 10k then this isn't really an option. The other possibility is to do the long run midweek which is what I did today.

Doing a 17 miler the day after a 14 miler is a bit risky in terms of injury but it went surprisingly well. My legs felt fine and the average pace came out at 7:52, despite me consciously going a bit slower than normal in the second half. As this run was in the morning and the Tuesday run was in the afternoon it meant I had done 40 miles in 48 hours. However I find that having a sleep between runs is the major key. It is amazing how a decent sleep can reset your body, leaving you ready for the day's challenges.

One other thing I am trying over Lent is to eat a tin of sardines every day. With a tin containing almost 20g of protein and only costing 40p it is a pretty cost effective and tasty way of getting some more protein. The Omega 3 oils won't do you any harm either.

I have actually put on a few pounds of weight during this marathon training program, despite the high mileage I have been doing. The culprit is probably the nuts that I gorge on at work. While containing a useful amount of protein they also contain a lot of fat so my calorie intake must be through the roof. Will have to watch that one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment