Tuesday 9 July 2013

16 miles with 10 at marathon pace (Aargh!)

After an easy 5 miles on Saturday I hoped I would have enough energy to complete the proscribed 16 mile run on Sunday.

I wasn't worried about the distance, it was doing the last 10 miles at marathon pace that concerned me!

Even though I started the run at 7 pm the temperature was still near the mid 20s so I was weighed down with two water bottles for some of the run.

I did the first 6 miles really slowly (about 8.45 min / mile) and then sped up for the last 10. I managed 3 of the last 10 at marathon pace (7.30 min / mile) and the rest were up to 30 seconds too slow.

Despite not doing the proscribed pace I am not too worried as this is the first time I have run 16 miles since my running comeback and I wasn't completely spent at the end.

I am now trying to conserve energy ready for the 10K race tomorrow. After a slow 5 miles yesterday and an equally slow 8 miles this morning I feel pretty stiff still but hopefully by tomorrow night I will be ready to attack that Offerton hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment