Friday 19 July 2013

11 miles slow

After completing the UK three peaks challenge last weekend I became very well acquainted with DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness. This made going down stairs a bit of a challenge for three days, let alone attempting tempo runs!

I decided to re-arrange my schedule so that in the three days after the hiking I had two days off and one recovery run.

As a result I am now in the middle of four running days in a row but my legs seem to be coping.

Yesterday was the dreaded lactate threshold run - 10 miles with 5 of them at half marathon pace (7 minutes / mile for me.) In the end the extended rest paid off and I managed it reasonably comfortably, completing all 5 fast miles in under seven minutes each.

Today was 11 miles slow. Now that I have discovered the joy of running slowly these runs are quite enjoyable and I normally end up doing a sizable negative split as I stretch my legs at the end. Today was the same with the first half at 8.30 pace and the second half at 8.00 pace.

Even at 6 am the temperature was still around 18 degrees C - too hot for distance running and I ended up drenched. I normally cycle to work in the same clothes but today that was unthinkable!

Tomorrow I am hoping to combing my recovery run with the Bramhall Parkrun and then it is 18 miles of plodding on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment