Monday 13 May 2013

Preston Half Marathon 2012

No run today so I thought I would write a brief report on the first race I ran since getting back into running recently - the Preston Guild Half Marathon 2012.

After 12 weeks training on a low intensity program I was aiming to 8 minute mile the race.

On the day the weather was cold and very wet. I didn't manage to get near the start line so I started with the 2 hour group who obviously set off very slowly. The route started off down a dual carriageway which was quite fun as you could watch the front runners as they came back the other way.

The route then headed into the wind and out towards Blackpool. After about 8 miles the course turned around and with the wind behind me I was able to set a decent pace for the last five miles. The last mile was a bit unpleasant with lots of sharp turns and little hills. I managed to find some energy to race the last 100 metres into the town square to finish in 1:43:19.

Overall I found the distance quite comfortable and loved the atmosphere. I would definitely do this race again but as it was a special Guild event I may have to wait 20 years!


No comments:

Post a Comment