Friday 2 August 2013

16 miles with 12 at pace

On Wednesday I did another club session with the Bramhall Runners. This was great fun this week. We did three reps of 1200 metres with 6 mins recovery. Inevitably some of us guys ended up racing and I managed to come second in the second rep. which I was very pleased about!

On Thursday I did six miles recovery. This was supposed to be slow but my legs wanted to run at 8 min / mile pace so I let them.

This morning was a dreaded marathon pace run, this one being 16 miles with 12 at MP.

I decided do most of the fast miles on a flat park loop to avoid hills, traffic and sharp corners. This seemed to help as I managed to do the last 12 miles at the required pace on average despite slowing down on miles 9 to 11 (of the last 12.)

After 2 bottles of Lucozade, a cup of tea and some muesli it was time for the 6 mile cycle to work which actually serves as a very useful warm down.

This was one of the hardest training runs I have ever done and you do ask yourself at the end why you are putting yourself through this. However the rewards come later and in lots of ways, some more tangible than others.

Keep running.

No comments:

Post a Comment