Friday 3 January 2014

7 mile fell race

I must admit that I have always considered fell runners to be slightly crazy. Why would you put your body through the torture of going up and down hills all the time? Yes the views are good but normally you are too shattered to appreciate them.

After my first fell race on New Year's Eve my opinion has not changed! The appalling weather did not help but this is probably the most challenging race shorter than a marathon that I have ever done.

The route takes you from the edge of Lyme Park up to the Bowstones ridge - a climb of about 900 feet over 3 miles! The forecast was for wind and rain and sure enough just before the start the rain started falling.

Once three cattle grids had been navigated we then climbed the first hill which was steep but nothing unusual. After a short fast flat section we then started up the real hill. This was sometimes so steep at times that it would probably have been more efficient to walk but my pride made me keep running. The rain was sheeting down and the wind blowing a gale at this stage and you do start to wonder why on earth you are there!

To add insult to injury I was "chicked" by the leading lady and she gradually pulled away throughout the race.

Finally soon after 3 miles we reached the top and it was mainly downhill from here. However the paths were so treacherous that you couldn't establish any kind of rhythm but just had to focus on staying on your feet.

In the final mile a group of runners came past me even though I was almost going at 6-minute-mile pace. I decided that my priority was to stay on my feet and let them go.

So I survived intact and finished in 27th place out of about 150.

I think if the weather had been OK I would have enjoyed it but the appalling weather meant it was a good workout and rich experience but not really fun.

And now I have DOMS from running down those hills!

I am a road runner it seems. I will leave the fell races to those even crazier than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment