Sunday 22 December 2013

London Marathon training

After a month of recovery and a month of base training the party is over - back to marathon training!

This time I am doing P&D up to 70 miles a week schedule. I don't think the 55 miles a week schedule had enough 20+ miles long runs so hopefully this schedule will help me not to die on the last 6 miles.

Most fellow runners look at you with a mixture of awe and disbelief when you tell them you are running 70 miles a week. I guess most casual runners consider 30 miles a week to be a lot so I am interested to see what this schedule is going to do to me. There are a few runners in my club who train a lot less but are currently faster than me so it will be interesting to see if I go up the pecking order a bit by next April.

Two weeks into the schedule my legs are already feeling sluggish and I haven't done more that 55 miles a week yet! However I think fitting the runs into my lifestyle may be harder than completing the sessions. No slouching on the sofa watching Christmas movies for me!

I do sometimes wonder what sort of runner I would be if I had spent my teenage years running rather than playing computer games. Oh well, let's see what sort of an (almost) middle aged runner I can be on 70 miles a week!

Happy Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment