Sunday 24 November 2013

Chest Infection

The week after my cross country race I did two hard sessions and then on my normal one mile jog to the gym on the Thursday I found that my chest just did not want to get out of first gear. This was a strange sensation - my legs were OK, my head was OK but my chest was not happy.

After a very slow and unpleasant jog to the gym and back I then had the next day off running. My chest was tight and sore and I was considering paying A&E a visit!

Thankfully the next day I felt better so the day after that I attempted a very slow 10 miler. I have never run 9 minute miles before with the feeling that that was all I could manage. Maybe this is how it feels to be over 70? Anyway my pace gradually picked up and I ended up averaging about 8:40 min/mile for the run.

Last week my chest gradually improved until yesterday I felt ready for another parkrun!

This went much better than my previous attempt, doing it in a solid 20:15 without feeling like I was quite giving 100% effort.

This morning I did 14 miles a 8 min/mile pace so things seem to be heading in the right direction.

Two weeks to go until Stockport 10 (miles) - a distance I have never raced before. In theory I should be able to 7 min/mile the whole thing but that seems hard to contemplate at the moment. Thankfully 7 minute miling in a race feels very different to 7 minute miling in training.

No comments:

Post a Comment