Sunday 3 November 2013

Marathon Recovery

Since my last post I have attempted a Parkrun, missed five days due to a virus and then just got back into hard training.

The Parkrun came three weeks after the marathon and I was hoping for a PB as this would be my first real attempt at a fast Parkrun since I started the marathon training.

However the night before the Parkrun I had felt the first signs of a chesty cough and although I felt OK on the Saturday morning before the race I soon started wheezing like an old man when I started running fast. My legs were fine but I just couldn't get the air circulating properly. In the end I was 30 seconds outside a PB but I can safely put that down to the virus.

You are not supposed to run when you are chesty so I then went four days without running. That was tough!

Last Thursday I did a 5 mile tempo, moving up the gears each mile from long slow run pace to 5K pace. The run felt great and pretty comfortable.

After 6 mile and 7 mile runs on Friday and Saturday I then did a longer progressive run today. This consisted of:

4 miles @ LSR pace
3 miles @ MP
2 miles @ HMP
1 mile @ 10K pace
2 miles @ recovery pace

I achieved all the required paces and felt controlled throughout. An awesome run.

I must now be fully recovered and can concentrate on my next race: a half marathon in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment