Friday 14 November 2014

Sherdley Park Cross Country

Chester marathon is now distant history. I am recovered and back racing.

Four weeks after the marathon I tried my local parkrun. I have had lots of times around 20 minutes and one 19:20 earlier this year. It appeared that my legs were still in marathon mode as I did 20:05 but felt strong throughout.

Last weekend was the second cross country of the season. This time I started nearer the front so as not to get caught up in people traffic. The problem with this is that I got swept along at a crazy pace at the start (5:30!)


There I am on the right in the green vest going at that crazy pace!

The first two laps felt pretty good with an average pace of about 7 min/mile. However the fast start and the constant undulations took their toll and the final lap was a bit of a slog with the fifth mile being a 7:24! I dug in and sped up down the finish straight for a 7 minute last mile and fourth position out of my club. A decent performance overall but next time I will try to hold back a little at the start.

In preparation for the Conwy Half Marathon in just over a week I have been doing a lactate threshold tempo run each week for the last three weeks. The first one was pretty awful - I couldn't get below 6:50 pace. Last week was better with three miles at about 6:40. This week I used a well lit loop in an industrial estate to avoid traffic interruptions and managed three miles at 6:35 - my actual LT pace.

So the recovery is over and the legs are working. Let's see if I can get under 90 minutes again in Conwy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment