Monday 27 October 2014

Recovery

The problem with marathons is that you have to take time out from regular training to allow yourself to recover. Your body is fragile after a marathon and there is no sense in punishing it more when it just needs time to repair.

With this in mind I kept the mileage very low for the first two weeks after Chester Marathon, with three rest days after the marathon and only 15 miles for the first week and 30 for the second.

My first run after the marathon was a bit grim as expected with tight hamstrings. However, two days later my club had the first cross country race of the season and rather naughtily I decided to join in.

I started at the back to keep my pace down but my legs actually felt good and I spent the rest of the race overtaking people. I actually completed the course quicker than last year which surprised me as last year I was racing whereas this year it was just a medium / hard effort.

Last week I joined a club session for the first time in ages. Running up and down hills in a group was fun and I felt strong.

This Saturday I am going to attempt a parkrun. It will be almost four weeks since the marathon so I will be ready for a test. My last parkrun was a rather poor 20:08 so it would be good to at least get under 20:00. Even better there should be some club mates there who I can hopefully show a clean pair of heels!

No comments:

Post a Comment