Monday 6 April 2015

Wilmslow Half

This is one of my favourite races of the year. I started off my serious running career by training for this race and was rewarded with a 1:36 time. I ran it again last year after a whole lot more training and got my time down to 1:28. This year I wasn't expect such a jump in PB but was hoping to go sub 1:28.

My build up was a bit weird. I did a hard 20 mile run on Tuesday and was then sidelined for two days with a painful blood blister. I bought some new trainers and managed a five mile jog the day before the race but the running felt weird and anything but smooth.

So on the day I had no idea what would happen.



My planned pace was 6:40 minute/miles and I bumped into a club mate (John) who was happy to go at that pace so we started off together.

The first seven miles are mainly downhill and they passed without incident, averaging just under 6:40. The effort felt a bit harder than last year and my legs felt sore but nothing drastic.

Miles 8 to 10 are slightly uphill and in the eighth mile everyone around me seemed to slow down and I had to start overtaking people just to keep the pace respectable. John dropped back at this point and I was on my own. I had to dig in over these three miles and managed to keep the pace just below 6:50, overtaking about 60 people!

I was hoping to go through 10 miles in 1:07:00 but I went through in 1:07:10. The PB was still on but there was no room for fade. Thankfully the 11th mile is slightly downhill and I managed a healthy 6:30. The 12th mile was uphill and I managed to dig in for a 6:45. I knew a decent last mile would get me home sub 1:28 and I managed to dig out another 6:30. Speeding up slightly over the last 200 metres or so I came home in 1:27:44.

So a new PB and about 40 seconds faster than year. I guess I should be pleased with that but then again when I think of the amount of training I have done over the last 12 months I am not sure that 40 seconds is a good return.

On the other hand fitness gains do not come smoothly and I came first out of my club so as long as I enjoy the training and racing I will keep plugging away.

No comments:

Post a Comment