Thursday 14 August 2014

Bramhall Runners Foodbank 5.5K

Marathon training is progressing well and I have now reached the "strength" section of the plan where you do longer intervals at MP - 10s pace rather than the VO2Max sessions.

The Sunday before last I did my first 15 miler of the plan. I took in the hilly Stockport 10 route for a different challenge and did the run in 2:05 (about 8:20 pace.) This felt very comfortable so I think I still have a reasonable endurance base.

Last Thursday I raced the Foodbank 5.5K - a trail race in the scenic Happy Valley. This year you have to cross the river on stepping stones and then on the way back you ford it so a bit of an extra challenge this time.

When I raced this last year it was a bit bizarre as after the first Kilometre or so I did no overtaking and was not overtaken either. This year I did plenty of overtaking - starting in about 30th place saw to that!

The initial pace felt very pedestrian but according to the Garmin it was 6:20 min/mile so not too shabby. After the river crossing I spotted a club mate about 30 metres in front of me who normally beats me in the short races. I figured that if I kept near him I would be doing well so over the next mile or so I gradually overtook about 10 runners until I was the next runner behind him but still about 30 metres back.

We then crossed the river again and for the last 500 metres or so it is just a case of keeping your foot on the pedal to ensure that no one gets past you.

I managed to keep my place and came home in 13th position My time was about the same as last year which is OK considering that this year we had water obstacles!

Doing all that overtaking was fun but probably cost me some energy so at the next Foodbank I will start further forward and see if I can use the faster people to pull me along.

Tonight is the final Sale Sizzler 5K of the summer. I have been fighting a cold all week so I don't know if that will slow me down but I am aiming for my first sub 19 min 5K! Three 6:10 miles should do the trick as my Garmin measures the course short. It sounds so simple on paper!


No comments:

Post a Comment